Friday, November 14, 2008

Moving SUUUUHHHHKKKKKSSSSS

My dream in life was to live in one place until I died. This comes from a lifetime of moving: four elementary schools, three junior high schools, and (finally) one high school. Add to that the moves around the Sea-Tac and Spokane areas, the move to seminary, and the move to Montana. When I lived in Spokane, I figured that I would finally live in a town the rest of my life.

We make plans and God laughs.

But this isn't about God .... just moving.

So I'm well acquainted with the whole moving process.

About a week or so ago, I was informed that Hotmail had updated their platform and that it would make everything so much nicer and easier.

Uh huh.

The main thing I noticed right off the bat is that the new format didn't fit onto my computer screen any longer. Not kidding. Lengthy e-mails now disappeared at the bottom and I had to type them out with my eyes closed imagining how it all looked. There were other issues in there as well, but they are too technical for me to explain other than, "It's icky and I don't like it." (My Blackberry still comes from the Church Pension Fund)

Today, on my day off, I decided I had had enough of dealing with Hotmail's changes -- so I set up a new Gmail account. I have spent the day moving contacts, setting up my groups, sending out a mass e-mail to said contacts giving them the new address, unsubscribing to various things and re-subscribing to them with the new e-mail (fyi, Episcopal News Service or Episcopal Life Daily or whatever it's called, scores major points by allowing people who are unsubscribing to enter a new e-mail for just this situation), and answering people "who just want to verify they have the right address."

Whether in the real world or in the virtual world, moving sucks.

2 comments:

Anonymous | 8:04 PM, November 14, 2008  

Never liked Hotmail, dumped my only account with them years ago. Gmail is vastly superior in many ways. Glad you got it all out of the way.
Jay

Anonymous | 2:12 AM, November 15, 2008  

I just downloaded Windows Live Mail, which connects up to my Hotmail account. (And would to my Gmail account too.) I think I like it.

[I don't know what's going on, but I can't get the authentication methods to work. -Dawgdays]

First time comments will be moderated.