Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Small Surprises

If you are a regular reader of this blog (HA!!), you may remember the problems we had with getting the church painted. In short, the painter who did the east side of the church (and did a very good job, btw), was given the job of painting the north side of the church.

Problem was, I stupidly paid him in advance.

We waited for him to start the job. And waited. And waited. And waited. And then we waited some more.

He finally finished. And maybe a month or two ago, he finally came back and finished the complete job by reinstalling the protective window screens.

The south side of the building needs painting. It also has a large, round stained glass window that needs a new frame. I received a bid to have that work done. That bid was given to me in August.

I've left the money in the bank.

This morning I needed to go into the church. As I rounded the corner of the south side, I almost ran into scaffolding. There was a nice surprise. Without warning or notice, the contractor is here working on reframing the window.

He thinks he'll be done by tomorrow at the latest.

We'll mail his check after he sends us an invoice.

A nice surprise, to be sure; but nicer that I haven't had to worry about disappearing money. Lesson learned -- NOBODY gets paid in advance.

2 comments:

EYouthWNY | 8:01 PM, December 10, 2008  

Hey, now I subscribe to a feed so I always see when a new post goes up (and yes I read them!)

Just glad you're getting the work done.

Rev Dave | 11:19 AM, December 11, 2008  

Yep. Never feed the dog before you go hunting and never pay the contractor before the work is done.

First time comments will be moderated.