Thursday, June 18, 2009

Closure

When I say, "Closure," what do you think of?

The grieving family who wants closure after the the death of a young family member killed by a drunk driver?

The last episode of a favorite TV show that remained on the air "one final year" to end properly; i.e. M*A*S*H, Star Trek:TNG, or Newhart?

Or maybe the end of an era where it has become apparent that there is no more reason for continuing on in the current form?

All of these are appropriate.

Closure has been on my mind lately. I'm not sure exactly what form that will take, or what the future will look like, or even exactly when (if ever) closure will happen. All I know is that things simply cannot continue the way they currently are and I have a strong feeling that change is rapidly approaching.

Despite what we originally say, despite our best intentions, despite our efforts, very rarely do things last or continue on forever. The future can be a bitch and we are never really ready to deal with it. As much as we try, things will never remain the same or unchanged; and that's okay. The problem comes when we try to hold on to what we've got long after it has served its purpose and remains only a shadow of what once was.

Do I know what the future holds? Of course not; but at this point in time, I have a strong feeling that closure is going to be a part of it shortly.

2 comments:

Jules | 2:21 PM, June 18, 2009  

You and me both, brother.

Unknown | 3:45 PM, June 18, 2009  

It can be "closure"... or ... Then He who sat on the throne said, “Behold, I make all things new.”

Either way can still be quite challenging

First time comments will be moderated.