Friday, June 05, 2009

Just what are we worshiping?

So I'm watching various news stories scroll across my screen yesterday and saw this:

Gun-loving pastor to his flock: Piece be with you.

Intrigued, I followed the link to a story that just . . . well . . . I really have no words for.

New Bethel Church
is welcoming "responsible handgun owners" to wear their firearms inside the church June 27, a Saturday. An ad says there will be a handgun raffle, patriotic music and information on gun safety.

"We're just going to celebrate the upcoming theme of the birth of our nation," said pastor Ken Pagano. "And we're not ashamed to say that there was a strong belief in God and firearms — without that this country wouldn't be here."

He said the point was not to mix worship with guns, though he may reference some passages from the Bible.

I wonder what passages those might be?

I am the Lord your God; you shall have no other gods but me?
You shall not make for yourself an idol?
You shall not murder?
The alien who resides with you shall be to you as the citizen among you?
But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you?
Come you that are blessed . . . for I was hungry and you gave me food . . . I was a stranger and you welcomed me?
Sell all that you own and distribute the money to the poor?
I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold?
So if I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet?
Do not repay evil for evil or abuse for abuse; but, on the contrary, repay with a blessing?
And all of you must clothe yourselves with humility in your dealings with one another?

Okay . . . I'll stop there. Let me just say that there will be no blessing of the guns in either of my congregations.

10 comments:

Ecgbert | 2:54 PM, June 05, 2009  

On one hand, St Gabriel Possenti, ora pro nobis. Anti-war doesn't necessarily mean pacifist. On the other I'm with you: other than (arguably) votive Masses, which one wouldn't do on a Sunday, no secular theme services be it the Second Amendment or the MDG.

Reverend Ref + | 4:42 PM, June 05, 2009  

Anti-war doesn't necessarily mean pacifist. Agreed. Pick any one of a number of just-war debates.

no secular theme services be it the Second Amendment or the MDG. Basically agree. If we aren't able to make Christ the focus of the service, it shouldn't happen. Obviously I think that is more likely with the MDG's than with the Second Amendment.

Mark J. | 7:27 PM, June 05, 2009  

How about adding, "'Put your sword back in its place,' Jesus said to him, "for all who draw the sword will die by the sword."

Rev Kim | 7:56 PM, June 06, 2009  

Is this the place where I confess to arranging a pastor's plinking party in the next few weeks?

Rev Dave | 7:57 PM, June 06, 2009  

Once again, Dave posting as Kim.

Reverend Ref + | 11:30 PM, June 06, 2009  

"Plinking party?"

Rev Dave | 9:01 AM, June 08, 2009  

Plinking party: Bust out the .22's and keep the world safe from tin cans.

Reverend Ref + | 9:22 AM, June 08, 2009  

Actually, a plinking party sounds kind of fun. But I have a sneaking suspicion that your little get together will take place on some nice Saturday morning to be followed up by a bbq and potluck; and will NOT, as our esteemed AOG pastor-buddy is planning, be part of the Sunday worship service.

And that's the difference.

Rev Dave | 9:36 AM, June 11, 2009  

Exactly right.

BTW, I actually put the apostrophe in the wrong place on that, it should read pastors' plinking party. Research has revealed that most of the other pastors here are rednecks, too. There may be a reverends' hunting outing this fall, as well.

Jane Ellen+ | 9:51 AM, June 11, 2009  

I'm guessing these folks would think the AoG pastor's plan is just fine.

First time comments will be moderated.