Monday, August 17, 2009

Sermon Feedback

In yesterday's sermon I discussed balance. "It's important," I said, "to have a good balance in your lives. You can't live on pie and Ding Dongs forever."

After the service, one of our visitors chit-chatted with me at the back of the church. She was a visitor from Virginia (we get a fair amount of Virginians out here -- hint hint to my brother Tripp). The conversation went something like this (plays better if you imagine her in a very polite and proper Virginian accent):

"What were those things you mentioned ...... ding dings?"

"Ding Dongs."

"I've never heard of such a thing. What are they?"

"They are these little chocolate cake things about this big around and that thick (giving dimensions with my hands), dipped in chocolate frosting and cream filled."

"Where do you get them?"

"Hostess makes them, and you can pick them up in any grocery store in the Hostess aisle. They come in a box of twelve."

"They sound terrific. I'm going to have to git me some of them."

I have no idea if my sermon on spiritual balance and feeding on the Eucharist sunk in, but I did manage to convince somebody to try Ding Dongs.

3 comments:

~**Dawn**~ | 10:48 AM, August 17, 2009  

Well...ummm...at least you know they were listening? ;-)

Tripp | 10:59 PM, August 17, 2009  

Mmm...Ding Dongs...wagon wheels full of chocolate-y goodness...

C. Wingate | 2:31 PM, August 27, 2009  

One of those "only in an Episcopal parish" conversations.....

First time comments will be moderated.