Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Gettin' on with business

I've now been here for six months. In some respects, it feels like I've been here a lot longer than that (a good thing). In some respects, it feels like I've not been here nearly long enough (a not good thing).

I arrived in mid-Advent. Upon my arrival, I had Advent worship to attend to, people to get to know, Christmas candy to deliver to shut-ins, people to get to know, Christmas services to plan, people to get to know, committees to get familiar with, a relatively long Epiphany to catch my breath, a Lenten series to present, people to get to know, a sewer line to replace, a sacristy flood to manage, Holy Week services to organize, and Easter celebrations to oversee.

We are now nearing the end of the Easter season, and the long, green season of Ordinary Time is right around the corner. I figured this was a good time to begin visiting all those homebound parishioners I hadn't seen since delivering Christmas candy.

I looked at my list and discovered, thankfully, that they are all clumped together in manageable sizes. So I developed a visitation rota that allows me to see roughly three people per week, covering all of them in the space of a month. This makes my organizational gene happy.

Tuesdays will become "home visitation days." I made my first excursion today, having several conversations and celebrating communion with them. This made my extrovert gene tired.

It's a good system -- my secretary and I both know when I'll be out of the office, and I know on exactly what day of the week I'm going to bed early.

Let's hear it for organization!

1 comments:

Unknown | 7:47 PM, May 25, 2011  

Yay, organization! It's great you have them arranged so conveniently. I've had a hard time getting into a visiting rhythm in my new congregation and hope summer will make it easier, somehow.

First time comments will be moderated.