Sunday, June 05, 2011

Eleven seconds

I got to watch Game 2 of the Stanley Cup Finals tonight. The best of seven series has the Vancouver Canucks playing the Boston Bruins.

I really wasn't sure who I was rooting for, originally. The Canucks are (for me) the local hockey club; being part of the (so people from the U.S. say) Pacific Northwest. They've changed their uniforms recently to have the same color scheme as the Seattle Seahawks. It's been awhile since Lord Stanley's Cup resided in Canada.

The Bruins are one of the "Original 6" teams of the NHL and have a long history. They had Bobby Orr. They haven't won the Cup since 1972. They haven't changed their jerseys.

So, I was torn on who to root for. As the game progressed, Vancouver fell behind 3-2, and I found myself hoping they could tie it up; and when they did, I cheered. The game went into OT and off the opening face-off, Vancouver stole the puck, charged the net, delayed the shot (which pulled the goalie out of position) and scored on a beautiful wrap around. All in the first 11 seconds of OT.

And I knew then that I was pulling for the Canucks. Now, here's hoping they can finish it off and bring the Cup back to Canada, eh.

0 comments:

First time comments will be moderated.