Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Eugene and back

Drove up to Eugene today, which was an adventure in and of itself.

Apparently ODOT doesn't think anyone from outside of Eugene needs to know that certain exits are closed and that there are detours. Either that, or I was totally oblivious, I'll have to pay attention next time I go up there.

I was supposed to take Exit 192. But that's currently non-existent, and the detour sign wasn't posted until Exit 191. That doesn't give enough time to decide, "Hmm .. I should probably get off here."

So I thought I'd just take the next exit, loop around and pick up my directions from there. Problem was, though, that the next exit put me on a state highway with no loop around access. So I took an unplanned detour through Springfield and manged to find my way to the parish for the meeting that was to start at 11 a.m.

At 10:45, I was still the only one there. At 10:50, another member of the committee showed up. At 11, we were still the only people there. As we were at 11:05, 11:10, 11:15, and 11:20.

Everyone else finally showed up at 11:20. One of them said, "You look angry." Jane probably knows what she meant. But, the meeting finally got started and we did whatever it was we were supposed to do, and the chair provided lunch, so it wasn't totally a waste. And at 1:20, we left the parish and made some unplanned detours through downtown Eugene while we looked for the I-5 access. Finally found that, and I was home and napping by 3:40.

Got in a good enough nap to be on good behavior for the pancake supper and a good time was had by all.

I hope your Shrove Tuesday went well, and may you have a blessed Lent.

2 comments:

Lady Anne | 2:28 PM, February 23, 2012  

I think Interstate signs are only for the locals. I know that if I were to tell you to follow the signs to get from our house to downtown Baltimore, you'd never make it!

The Lord of the Manor is Property (Junior) Warden at our parish, and had arranged to meet somebody to discuss possibly changing security companies. The fellow called here about 10 minutes after the scheduled time to say he couldn't find the church. "Where are you?" "On Bridge Drive." "Um, sir, Bridge Drive dead-ends at the church parking lot." "Oh! Is that the church? I've driven past it a couple of times." Hmm. Large red brick building, white steeple...yeah, that's a church. And Bridge Drive is only eight blocks long!

It's folks like that who make it hard for me to keep my Lenten discipline of not being so judgemental.

Reverend Ref + | 4:20 PM, February 23, 2012  

That is TOO funny. Thanks for the laugh today.

First time comments will be moderated.