Wednesday, March 20, 2013

There Will Be Incense

It's official:  There will be incense for the first time at our Easter Vigil service.

This came about because two pieces fell together.  First, when I asked the worship committee if they thought it would be a good idea to use incense at the Vigil, they emphatically said, "Yes!"

And second, I found someone who is both experienced and willing to serve as thurifer at the service.

This is going to be great.  I know some people will probably complain about it, but as my thurifer said during our practice run this morning (via another source): "There are only two smells in the afterlife -- incense and brimstone; so you better get used to one of them while you're here."

4 comments:

Lady Anne | 10:06 AM, March 21, 2013  

I love that quote! Our new rector has decided on foot washing on Maundy Thursday and was discussing incense on Easter Day. May I pass it along to him?

Reverend Ref + | 12:12 PM, March 21, 2013  

Most certainly. I'm in favor of anything that gets incense into a church.

Anonymous | 9:59 PM, March 21, 2013  

Just please don't overdo the incense if there's any one in your congregation with fragrance allergies or other chronic respiratory illnesses. Especially if they aren't used to it or aren't expecting it.

Reverend Ref + | 1:03 PM, March 22, 2013  

This is the first time in recent memory that the parish has used it during a service. I want to use it again, so I don't have plans to overdo it.

They will be expecting it, though, because we've been announcing it.

First time comments will be moderated.