Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Funeral Sermon

I met with the family of the deceased parishioner yesterday and we got some things figured out.  I spent this morning working on my sermon for that service and I am less than satisfied.  For most funerals I've done I will get some basic information, let that roll around in my head, and then plug it into and shape it around the gospel reading.

This, I think, is the first funeral sermon I've written out (I could be wrong about that -- I sort of feel like Paul -- "I don't recall if I've done this before"), and it just doesn't seem to have that funeral sermon feel to it.

Maybe I spent too much time on the deceased.
Maybe I spent too little time on the gospel.
Maybe I can't come up with a decent closing.

So here's hoping that my efforts will make sense and be appropriate.

0 comments:

First time comments will be moderated.