Monday, August 04, 2014

Holy Quartet?

I have an incredibly busy week this week.

My Brasilian daughters, Julie and Bruna, are coming to town for a visit.  They will be here Wednesday through Saturday.  Mrs. Ref and I are very excited about this, and she has taken Thursday and Friday off so she can spend quality time with the girls.

Thursday is Movie Night at church, so I'm tied up with that (and there are reasons I can't cancel this one, which I will probably post about next week).

One of our longtime, beloved parishioners died last week.  I am meeting with his son, also an active parishioner, and his daughter to work out the details.  The funeral will be Friday.

A former parishioner who was active two administrations ago, slightly active under the previous administration, and not at all since I've been here, died and requested the funeral be here at the church.  She was a member of the Supreme Emblem Club, and the funeral will be a combination of the Emblem Club's funeral ritual and the funeral liturgy of the Episcopal church.

Yeah . . . can you tell there's a headache in there?

After meeting with the daughter and S.E.C. representative, they've chosen the Holy Quartet of funeral hymns:

1) In the garden;
2) Nearer my God to thee;
3) Amazing Grace;
4) The old rugged cross

And, of course, the usual Sunday planning and sermon writing that needs to happen.

The good news is that I'm sure I can find a football game somewhere.

2 comments:

Lady Anne | 1:58 PM, August 04, 2014  

Why do funerals always come in bunches? We had one with a full body at 11:00. and then a cremation funeral 6:00 on the same day. At least cremations can be scheduled for convenience.

Reverend Ref + | 5:37 PM, August 04, 2014  

With regards to my first funeral (which was the second one scheduled), we will not have the cremains because, as the son put it, "The funeral home is quite a bit backed up in that department."

First time comments will be moderated.