Saturday, December 31, 2005

SERMON-FREE ZONE

No, I'm not stopping my sermon posts, although I'm sure some of you were wishing for something a little more creative here.

Actually, this is my last day of vacation. I probably won't stay up and ring in the New Year. Not only is it past my bedtime (although if I hang out until 10, I can celebrate with the East Coast), but it's a school night. I have to be at work tomorrow. However, we are doing a service of Christmas Lessons and Carols. This is a good thing because it means that we get to sing more Christmas hymns. It is also a good thing because that particular service doesn't require a sermon, and it wouldn't have been vacation if I had had to write a sermon for Sunday.

And next Sunday is the bishop's annual visitation. This is also a good thing because we are baptizing three of our youngest parishioners, confirming a new member and receiving another new member into the Communion. It is also a good thing because the bishop preaches.

So, if you've been counting, that's two Sundays I don't have to write a sermon. Don't get me wrong, I like the whole sermonizing thing. In fact, I think it's probably the one thing I do really well (because Lord knows I can't sing . . .), but it's nice not to have to write one for a change; especially since I need to finish the prep for the visitation as well as the two annual meetings that follow on the 15th and 22nd.

And speaking of the annual meetings, I do believe that we are getting some of our new people to volunteer to be on the vestry. This is also a good thing. Maybe one day we can grow up to be a real parish. ;-)

So, vacation is over. It was good. We spent some time together as a family. That was a good thing. The Kid goes back to school on January 3. That is also a good thing. And now it's back to our regularly scheduled lives.

3 comments:

Brooke | 12:19 AM, January 01, 2006  

I love that you are doing caroles and lessons even though it is after Christmas! There are some songs I would gladly sing any time of the year, even though that is not "appropriate." :)

I think it was last season (as in two years ago) that the teams decided to wear dark at home and light for away games. I cannot recall what (if any) justification there was for the change. The NHL could be the only sports league in the world doing that, for all I know.

Maybe you're still up, so Happy New Year to you and the family!

Reverend Ref + | 8:54 PM, January 01, 2006  

Happy New Year to you also. Just to clarify, Christmas STARTS on December 25, so it's not really after Christmas.

And regarding those jerseys, I guess it's not the color scheme that bothers me so much as they didn't bother to swap the design, so the home logo is used at away games and vice-versa. Oy.

Anonymous | 9:52 AM, January 05, 2006  

I sing well.
I preach well enough...whatever that means.
You preach exceedingly well.

First time comments will be moderated.