Friday, February 16, 2007

MY THOUGHTS ON THE LATEST TANZANIAN EVENTS

I normally don't post "hot topics." For one, I process things much more slowly than other people seem to (I will always lose a debate). For two, there are other bloggers out there who do a much better job of this sort of thing than I will ever be able to (as well as saying things in a better way).

So most of the time I'm happy to post on football, sermons, a few goings on around town, or The Kid who didn't hand in a school assignment (yet again) and will reap what she has sown this weekend.

But this one is just too much to pass by, even for me.

So, the Big Seven (Abp. Peter Akinola, Abp John Chew, Abp. Benjamin Nzimbi, Abp Justice Akrofi, Abp. Henry Orombi, Abp. Gregory Venables, and Abp. Emmanuel Kolini) have apparently refused to take communion** at the Primate's Meeting because ++Katharine Jefferts Schori is in attendance. Their theological basis for this is the traditional "mini-exhortation"of repentence:

"Ye that do truly and earnestly repent you of your sins, and are in love and charity with your neighbours, and intend to lead a new life, following the commandments of God, and walking from henceforth in his holy ways; Draw near with faith" (this, with some minor modifications and an extension of making "your humble confession," is on page 330 of the BCP).

Okay, but let's start by opening that up, expanding it and going back to the full Exhortation (BCP 316-17).

For in these holy Mysteries we are made one with Christ, and Christ with us; we are made one body in him, and members of one another (BCP, 316).
By refusing to share in the communion meal, these seven men have flatly refused to become one with Christ, and they have refused to allow Christ to be part of their bodies.

For, as the benefit is great, if with penitent hearts and living faith we receive the holy Sacrament, so is the danger great, if we receive it improperly, not recognizing the Lord's Body. Judge yourselves, therefore, lest you be judged by the Lord. Examine your lives and conduct by the rule of God's commandments, that you may perceive wherein you have offended in what you have done or left undone, whether in though, word, or deed (BCP, 316-17).
"Receive it improperly . . ." Well, here I would have to agree with the Big Seven because they are obviously not "in love and charity with their neighbor." If they can't claim that with regards to ++KJS, then maybe they should refrain. But also note that we are asked to judge ourselves and to examine our own lives and conduct. We are not asked to judge others who come to the table. It is clear to me that these men are limiting not only who can come to the table, but with whom they will share a meal, based on their own personal purity codes. We are all sinners. None of us is completely pure when we receive communion. That includes ++KJS as well as the Big Seven.

And that brings me to my next point.

These seven Primates used the "mini-exhortation" as their theological defense as to why they couldn't/wouldn't commune with my Presiding Bishop. But they either forgot to read further in the communion rite or they patently ignored ignored the Prayer of Humble Access (BCP, 337). This, in my opinion, carries much more theological weight than their petty misunderstanding of the "mini-exhortation."

We do not presume to come to this thy Table, O merciful Lord, trusting in our own righteousness, but in thy manifold and great mercies. We are not worthy so much as to gather up the crumbs under thy Table. But thou art the same Lord whose property is always to have mercy. Grant us therefore, gracious Lord, so to eat the flesh of thy dear Son Jesus Christ, and to drink his blood, that we may evermore dwell in him, and he in us. Amen.

And there you have it. It is presumptious of us to receive communion based on our own definition and understanding of our own righteousness. "Thank God that I am not like that sinner over there, but pure and humble and righteous." When, in fact, none of us are worthy to even crawl underneath the altar and eat the crumbs that fall to the floor. By refusing to accept communion because of the presence of a sinner such as ++KJS (I won't even get into whether or not the fact that she's a woman plays into this), then these men are ignoring the merciful nature of God. And, as I said earlier, by refusing communion then they are refusing Jesus access into their life.

As Jane Ellen said on her post about this event, "How tragic."

**You can see the full text of their statement and other takes on this from Tobias Haller, Mark Harris, and Jane Ellen.

1 comments:

Jim Strader | 7:08 PM, February 16, 2007  

Very nicely said. I have so many of my own doubts, biases, and omissions I need to concern myself with that I need to dedicate myself to working out my salvation with God's Grace. I would hope that I then could perhaps better reconcile myself to those I do not appreciate or agree with on issues of faith or life.

All Blessings

Jim+

First time comments will be moderated.