Thursday, January 31, 2008

Every Conversation is Important

Yeah .... I'm just pointing that out in case you A) didn't realize it, or B) got lulled into a false sense of security. I think I fell somewhere in the A- to B+ range of those options.

In very general terms -- because 1) I don't need to be told how stupid I was, and 2) I don't need to be told how stupid I was -- here's what went down:

Person A approaches me at some church event, probably coffee hour after a service, and asks if Person X could have a wedding at Church 2. I probably said something like, "Oh probably," and left it at that.

And, in a nutshell, that was and is the problem. Instead of saying something intelligent like, "This isn't a good time to discuss that; have them come by my office next week," I apparently said something in a post-service glaze like, "Oh, probably."

And that, "Oh, probably," answer turned into a "Definitely yes," by the people involved.

I had forgotten about the whole deal until I was reminded of it recently. At which point I went . . . well, let's just say that I'm not a happy priesty boy about the whole thing.

Lesson learned .... or lesson reminded ..... Every conversation is important -- Pay attention.

0 comments:

First time comments will be moderated.