Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Lenten Stuff

Each of my parishes is doing Lenten "stuff."

At Christ Church we have picked up a new family who came over from the Baptist church here in town. I think I mentioned this before, but they showed up because they love animals and didn't agree with the stance their pastor took regarding animals. I think it was something along the lines of, "Animals are here for us to dominate and use and only humans go to heaven."

That seemed a little too stark for them, so they ended up at my place.

We are doing what I call TEC 101 through Lent. It's mainly for this family who really has no liturgical experience and for whom the Episcopal Church is all so very new.

And then up in VC we are doing our Lenten Soup & Scripture. Although this year it isn't so much as Scripture as it is theology. We are spending the next several weeks reading Dietrich Bonhoeffer's book, Life Together. Something particularly apt during this time of the Anglican Screaming Meanies.

Nothing really earth-shattering out here, but there we go.

What are your congregations doing this Lent?

5 comments:

Unknown | 11:34 AM, February 12, 2008  

We've decided to take on some "real" penance here in the Cluster. Self-flagellation, silent retreats that last weeks, and fasting the full 40 days... oh wait!... I was having a flashback to those blessed days at Nashotah! Actually pretty much doing what you are and it is great.

Blessings... p.s. - No stole!?! - Blasphemy!!!

Anonymous | 11:53 AM, February 12, 2008  

No one will be shocked that I've simply forgotten to put a stole on during the Eucharist on several occasions. Never, to my recollection, on a Sunday morning, but many were in church at other events.

Ref, I'd be interested in hearing more on the TEC 101. I have one woman who is going for confirmation in May, and we'll be working one-on-one in Lent. She's UCC and wants to know more about the Episcopal Church.

Jane Ellen+ | 9:49 AM, February 13, 2008  

John: gee, you folks sure do know how to party. I would have thought the recent remodeling was flagellation enough...

~**Dawn**~ | 3:08 PM, February 14, 2008  

Over here in LCMS land, we have our mid-week Lenten services on Wednesday for further reflection & introspection. And we are also doing something called "40 Days of Community" this Lent, where we are getting together in small groups in various homes, and doing a Bible study.

Sophia | 6:59 PM, February 17, 2008  

I LOVE that book! When I was required to read it during my first semester in seminary, I, well, I hated it. I only avoided throwing it at the wall because I knew of the extraordinary stories of the grace and love he showed to his fellow prisoners at the end of his life. As time has gone by I have leaned on the messages of that book more and more, especially when things get rough on campus or in field ed.

First time comments will be moderated.