Sunday, March 30, 2008

2 Easter

Three years ago I received a phone call from the local Gideon chapter. These are the guys (and they are all guys; no women allowed) who, among other things, place those KJV bibles in hotel rooms.*

They wanted to know if we would allow them to come speak at one of our services. I looked at my calendar and saw Holy Week, Easter Day, two days off, and realized that the Second Sunday of Easter would be the perfect time for them to send someone to come talk.

And they did.

And he did.
And did.
And did.

We heard about the soldier in Desert Storm who found a bible laying on the ground, picked it up, read it and became a Christian. We heard about the little black boy who wanted to know if that white Jesus would let him into heaven. We heard about their budget. And how many countries the Gideon's are in. And how many bibles they've given away to date. And how many bibles they plan on giving away in the future. And how they stand across the street from schools because they aren't allowed on school property anymore. And I tried not to snore or nod off.

Two years ago, I got a call from them wanting to know if they could come back. I gave them the same Sunday, 2 Easter, and hoped that he would be better. This time, though, I gave him a specific time limit.

And within that time frame, we heard about the soldier in Desert Storm who found a bible laying on the ground, picked it up, read it and became a Christian. We heard about the little black boy who wanted to know if that white Jesus would let him into heaven. We heard about their budget. And how many countries the Gideon's are in. And how many bibles they've given away to date. And how many bibles they plan on giving away in the future. And how they stand across the street from schools because they aren't allowed on school property anymore. And I decided that he wasn't coming back next year.

Last year, I did not have a Gideon Dude come to the service.

This year, I got a call from them and, yes . . . I agreed to let him come on 2 Easter**. All the while I'm thinking, "If I hear that story about the soldier in Iraq, or about that poor little black boy . . . he's finished."

Well, I'm happy to say that this year the stories were all new. He stayed away from all but the most vital statistics. And he spoke for no more than five minutes.

Maybe the trick is to limit the visits to every other year.

* Turns out that, even though the Gideons were started in Wisconsin, their first missionary act of hotel bible placement actually happened in Montana.

** The Kid was off in Billings Thursday, Friday and Saturday and had some late nights. She asked if she could sleep in today and go to the later service in VC. While we were in the car, I mentioned that the Gideon Dude was here today to give his talk. She was thrilled that she missed the early service . . . until I said that he was speaking at both services. "What?!?! Oh no . . . He's soooo boring; I can hardly stay awake." After service, she did agree that he was better than in previous years, but that he was still boring.

6 comments:

The Lovely Wife | 9:11 PM, March 30, 2008  

I personally do not understand why women can not help hand out bibles. I understand the reasoning in some countries but common on, either don't send them to those countries or send them coupled with a man. A woman is just as capable of spreading the Good News and bringing in new Christians as a man.

Scott | 9:16 PM, March 30, 2008  

I struggle with the Gideons (not literally). On the one hand, their devotion to the Word is commendable. On the other hand, they know so little about what to do with it AFTER they get the Word in your hands that I want to tear my hair out. It's not as if Bible = faith!

Reverend Ref + | 12:01 AM, March 31, 2008  

LW: I would agree. The only argument they have, as far as I can tell, is that "It's always been a men's organization."

Scott: Yeah ... that's what I thought. It's almost like the Bible is this magic talisman. One thing he kept saying in all of his "Testimonial Examples" was how someone "picked up a testament, read it, discovered he was a sinner, and turned his life over to the Lord."

I don't discount that can happen, but still . . .

Unknown | 2:42 PM, March 31, 2008  

Can I please have the name of your "guy?" I can't get ANYONE in the congregation to show up when I tell them that the Gs are coming. I haven't had them in a couple of years now.

Reverend Ref + | 2:46 PM, March 31, 2008  

The guy's name is Leroy Friel (sp) out of Butte. I've got his number if you want to call him.

But here's the deal: I NEVER tell anyone in my congregation when we will be having a guest speaker during the service. I just schedule him and let the congregation find out when they show up for service.

Anonymous | 3:59 PM, April 01, 2008  

Lovely Wife wrote: "I personally do not understand why women can not help hand out bibles."

I have a lovely wife, too, and she's actively involved in witnessing and handing out bibles, too, as a member of the Auxiliary of The Gideons International. So the "no women allowed" is quite a misleading stretch, and it's unfortunate that it's not been clarified to RevRef. Yes, it's an association of Christian business and professional men -- but long before women had the right to vote in the USA, the Gideons included women in the ministry, and have regularly expanded their role in the ministry, while continuing to honor and protect them.

In fact, there are a number of places that ONLY our wives can place scriptures (ex: medical staff & maternity wards), and make certain presentations. Without them, millions of scriptures would NOT be placed. Not to mention the encouragement and prayer and support that's so valuable!

But back to the point of this post ... you are correct that many of us had let the exciting message of how God's Word changes lives get lost in a poor presentation. It's because YOU, pastor, care enough to allow us to partner with your church to buy life-changing scriptures that this happens. Yes, you deserve and should expect better. And the headquarters is actively working to promote better presentations to every church. And please ... as much as you don't want to ... if you get one that's not great -- send back the review and tell them so. It's the only way we can improve.

God bless you all! Thanks for your prayers.

First time comments will be moderated.