Monday, November 22, 2010

The Good and The Bad

Friday was our going away party at church. We probably had 60 people show up for it. On a stormy, snowy night, that's a huge number. There was lots of food and a good time was had by all. I was roasted rather nicely and then listened to a few other people tell some good stories. At the end of it, we were all presented with lovely parting gifts. The Kid received a couple of "Twilight" t-shirts; Mrs. Ref received two very nice scarves; and I was honored with a custom pool cue embossed with "Theology on Tap" on the base. There were also a few tears.

Yesterday was my last service at my little church. The weather cleared up and we had a good turnout -- 46 in all.

After service we all hung around and had a group photo taken. There were a few people who weren't at service, and I will miss seeing those people in the picture.

After the photo op, everyone headed over to the parish hall for coffee hour (or, as I call it, Stuff). We were all enjoying ourselves until people realized they had to go home. And there were plenty of tears and hugs and well-wishes for everybody. Saying goodbye to these people was very hard.

After a good nap, Mrs. Ref and I headed out to the bar to try out the new cue. I'm glad to say that it's not defective, as I won 3 out of 4 games.

And the bad? The bad was last night when I had several dreams about packers refusing to do their job, lost suitcases, and a church who apparently changed their mind about calling me.

I will be very happy when this chapter is over and I'm settled into the next.

1 comments:

Katharine | 10:15 PM, November 25, 2010  

You have both my sympathy and my congratulations, Rev. Ref. What a hard thing, saying good-bye to folks who have become family. What a great thing, settling into a new place with folks who will become family.

Blessings on your move.

First time comments will be moderated.